Friday, April 20, 2012

New Trent Limir Touch Screen Stylus / Pen

I recently received an iPad 2 and found myself using it at times really wondering if, like my Palm T3 PDA, I wanted a stylus to do my typing, browsing, and basic touch screen use.  The answer after a few days of use was a resounding yes.  So the search began.  And as any iPad user knows, there are literally hundreds of styli out there for touch screen devices.  So I needed to narrow my search criteria.

I wanted a stylus which had very good tactile, screen sensitive capacity.  The reason being, I enclosed my iPad in a Griffin Technology Survivor Extreme Duty iPad 2 case.  This beast of a case is the ultimate iPad protection one can employ to keep their investment safe.  The case encloses the iPad in a protective polycarbonate front and back high impact resistant casing, and is then in turn surrounded by a thick rubber back cover.  Tested and approved for use by the U.S. Military, this case called for a compatible stylus which possessed a high degree of responsiveness when tapping through to the iPad 2. 
After much research, I narrowed my search down to five styli, all of which I will review at some point.  But my first choice was the New Trent Limir Touch Screen Stylus / Pen.  I wanted a stylus / pen for those times when a pen was needed close at hand to jot down impending notes while using iPad 2. 

But let's talk first about the stylus end of New Trent Limir.  Its tip is constructed with a micro knit fiber mesh material, which will not scratch the iPad 2 surface.  It is quite smooth when doing screen writing or games that require repeat motion.  It is also highly responsive when using with the Survivor Extreme Duty case. 

New Trent Limir is short at 10 cm, and rather slim when holding.  I would have preferred it at 5 to 5.5 inches in length.  But it is quite adequate when employing screen side.  I find the experience to be quite comfortable as I hold the stylus differently I find from that of a pen.

On to the pen end of New Trent Limir.  The good news is, New Trent Limir employs a D1 International type ink cartridge which I have long enjoyed using in quite a few of my pens. Simply twist the middle of the barrel and out pops the cartridge tip.   Having said that, due to New Trent Limir's short stature, writing for extended periods, such as this post for example, cause quite the writer's cramp.  There is simply not enough pen to hold on to.  My fingers were aching at this point in the Post writing.  Not a memorable experience.  Hopefully New Trent decides a longer version is in order for the larger hand users. 
Needless to say the pen use of this stylus pen combo will be limited to short sweet notes.  Thank goodness for the D1 cartridge. 

There you have it.  The New Trent Limir Touch Screen Stylus / Pen, a great stylus, and an average pen experience.  As such, I give it a limited recommendation. 

1 comment:

  1. wow .. .really nice pen . .cool .. thanks a lot for showing it to me..keep it up , .
    vapor recovery tower

    ReplyDelete